H.264 codec is widely used in videos. Movies, TV shows, MV, camera and camcorder recorded videos often in H.264 MOV/MP4/AVI/MKV format, for Nikon and canon cameras, most of them record H.264 MOV video. Maybe you have recorded many vivid HD videos in H.264 codec, now you may want to edit H.264 video on Mac, like importing H.264 to Final Cut Pro or iMovie for editing. You will find that you can’t edit H.264 video in FCP/iMovie smoothly, the main reason is H.264 codec is not a friendly codec for Mac.
Mac OS best video format is MOV format, and for FCP and iMovie, the best codec is Apple ProRes codec, so if you want to edit H.264 MP4/AVI/MOV/MKV video in Final Cut Pro or iMovie, the best way is to convert H.264 to Apple ProRes codec MOV format, and then you can load converted video to FCP and iMovie for editing smoothly without rendering.
You can follow the easy steps below to transcode H.264 to Apple ProRes 422.
1. Download and install HD Video Converter for Mac or iMedia Converter for Mac, they are professional ProRes converter that can help you convert H.264 codec to Apple ProRes codec, it can also convert MTS to Apple ProRes, MOV to Apple ProRes, etc.
2. Click format column to choose Apple ProRes 422 as output format, just click and choose Final Cut Pro -> Apple ProRes 422 (*.mov). There are rich output formats for you to choose.
3. You can click settings button to adjust the output parameters in this Apple ProRes converter. You can customize the resolution, bitrate, frame rate as you want.
4. You can edit the H.264 video before convert it to ProRes MOV. You can trim, crop, add watermark or adjust effect to the video.
5. Click convert button to start the H.264 to Apple ProRes 422 conversion.
After converting, you can import converted ProRes videos to Final Cut Pro for editing smoothly, now you can follow the H.264 to Apple ProRes conversion steps and have a try.